Makueni County has a total of 48 Members of the County Assembly, 30 elected from each of the 30 Wards and 18 nominated. The 30 Wards include: Tulimani, Mbooni, Kiteta/Kisau, Kako/Waia, Mukaa, Kiima Kiu/Kalaanzoni, Ukia, Kee, Kilungu, Wote/Nziu, Kitise/Kithuki, Kathonzweni, Kilili/Kalamba, Mbitini, Makindu, Nguumo, Nguu/Masumba, Emali/Mulala, Mtito-Andei, Thange, Kalawa, Muvau/Kikumini, Mavindini, Kikumbulyu South, Kikumbulyu North, Masongaleni, Ivingoni/Nzambani, Ilima, Kithungo/Kitundu and Kasikeu.
The roles of members of the County Assembly are set out in Section 9 of the County Governments Act No. 17 of 2012. These roles include:
- Maintaining close contact with the electorate and consulting them on issues before or under discussion in the County Assembly
- Presenting views, opinions and proposals of the electorate to the County Assembly
- Attending sessions of the County Assembly and its committees
- Providing a linkage between the County Assembly and the electorate on public service delivery
- Extending professional knowledge, experience or specialized knowledge to any issue for discussion in the County Assembly.
A member of the County Assembly is not directly or indirectly involved in the executive functions of the County government and its administration or delivery of services as if the member were an officer or employee of the County government. Click here for more